Review: Cook. Nourish. Glow by Amelia Freer


Love healthy wholesome food? Cook. Nourish. Glow is for you. After the success of her bestseller Eat. Nourish. Glow., nutritional expert Amelia Freer is back. 

Containing oodles of advice on healthy eating and cooking, and featuring over 120 recipes, Cook. Nourish. Glow. points out that now more than ever we know more about calories, ingredients, and other nutritional values ... yet obesity is more prevalent than ever. Interesting and very true. Why do you think this is so? I personally believe it comes down to the price of fresh ingredients, and the convenience of ready-made meals. Freer's solution is a quote by physician/author Dr Mark Hyman: "we have to cook our way out of this mess".

Cook. Nourish. Glow. is designed to educate readers about food, nutrition and enjoying cooking using fresh wholesome ingredients. Filled with beautiful food images both raw and cooked, readers will be inspired from beginning to end. Lauded by the likes of Boy George and Sam Smith (he claims to have lost over 12kg in just two weeks), Freer admits that many of her clients are time poor or simply do not enjoy cooking. I love my food but with limited time on my hands I cook to eat. Time poor and health conscious, I was keen to put Freer's recipes to the test. Being an impatient cook, and keeping in mind that Freer's clientele tend to relate with me, it was a bit disappointing to select a recipe and then discover it required a few hours to cook or to set overnight - but fear not, because this only applies to a handful of recipes. 

Initially, flicking through the recipes I noticed a link between Freer's style of cooking and Jamie Oliver's - there seems to be a recurring theme of European dishes such as goulash, sardine dishes, gazpacho, and pasta dishes (but made from vegetable spirals). While the European style recipes are not dishes I would serve up in my household, there are a lot of great meals to inspire you in the kitchen (my husband cooks up a mean Poached Thai Salmon with Pak Choi). It has been fun to taste test these recipes. 

My favourite meals so far include: 
-Broccoli & Cashew Steam Fry
-Baked Sweet Potatoes with Coconut-Yoghurt Dressing & Spiced Pine Nuts
-Spiced Prawns with Spinach & Coconut

This week I plan on choosing more delicious recipes from Cook. Nourish. Glow. and can't wait to put Freer's dietary advice to good use.
Rating: ★★★★

Hardback RRP $49.99 | Paperback RRP $45.00. Published by Penguin.